February Board of Education Minutes
U.S.D. #338 Valley Falls
Board of Education Meeting
February 11, 2019
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by President, Jody Lockhart, at 6:30 P.M. in the music room.
Present: John Shipley, LaVerne Clark, Jody Lockhart, Heidi Pickerell, Thomas Welsh, Stephanie Steinlicht, Sharon Sweeney, Dr. Volora Hanzlicek and Brenda Henson. Heidi and Thomas arrived at 6:32 P.M. Heidi stepped out of the meeting at 7:19 P.M. and returned at 7:25 P.M.
- ADOPTION OF AGENDA
Motion by Stephanie Steinlicht second by John Shipley to approve the agenda as presented.
Yes 5 No 0
- REVIEW BOARD NORMS
- GOOD NEWS FROM THE DISTRICT
Timber Winter and Alex Wilson performed and spoke regarding the music department.
- COMMENTS FROM PATRONS AND GUESTS
Donny Smith, Kenzie Nellis and Dallas Clark spoke regarding the Ag Committee and curriculum.
Motion by Heidi Pickerell second by Sharon Sweeney to approve to conduct a Special Meeting on February 27, 2019, at 6:30 P.M. in the library regarding Ag curriculum.
Yes 7 No 0
- CONSENT AGENDA
- Approve Minutes of Previous Meetings.
- Approve Treasurer’s Report and Approval of Warrants.
- Receive Keystone Board Meeting Report.
- Receive Monthly Vehicle Mileage Sheets.
- Receive Site Council Minutes-No Minutes Were Received.
- The Board accepted the resignation of Annette Ostmeyer as High School Language Arts Teacher; Bob Ostmeyer as High School Science Teacher; and Larry Burns as K-12 Physical Education Teacher. Jody Lockhart thanked the teachers for their service to the Valley Falls school district.
- The Board approved the hiring of Wyatt Hofstra as a Teacher Aide; Deb Spade as a High School Assistant Track Coach; and Peyton Herlocker as the 2019-20 Elementary Counselor, K-8 Testing Coordinator and 7 extra contracted days.
- Susan Grey’s report was included in the Board packet.
Motion by Stephanie Steinlicht second by Sharon Sweeney to approve the consent agenda as presented.
Yes 7 No 0
7. Information Items
a. The Board did not receive any written communications.
b. The Board received budget information-cash balances comparison.
c. The Board received a curriculum and instruction report from Suzanne Stout; a school and community report from Heidi Pickerell and Stephanie Steinlicht and a governmental relations report from Jody Lockhart and Dr. Hanzlicek.
8. Discussion Items
a. The Board reviewed the Strategic Plan.
9. Information Items
a. The Board received information regarding the food service audit.
10. Discussion Items
a. The Board discussed the possibility of late start days.
b. The Board discussed possible make-up days.
c. The Board discussed outsourcing of ground keeping duties.
d. The Board discussed the District Mission, Vision and Motto Statements as presented.
11. ACTION ITEMS
a. Motion by Heidi Pickerell second by Stephanie Steinlicht to approve the switch to Apptegy.
Yes 7 No 0
b. Motion by Thomas Welsh second by Stephanie Steinlicht to go into executive session beginning at 7:55 P.M. to discuss matters of non- elected personnel that relates to performance and contracts; and matters related to actions that adversely or favorable affect a person as a student relating to enrollment status under KOMA, K.S.A. 75-4319 et seq. The board will reconvene in this room at 8:20 P.M. The Board extended the executive session until 8:30 P.M. The Board extended the executive session until 8:35 P.M.
Yes 7 No 0
The Board meeting returned to open session at 8:37 P.M.
c. No action item was taken after Executive Session.
The meeting was adjourned by the President at 8:38 P.M.