Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation


Open Enrollment is July 25th & 26th......

Front Page > breadcrumbs: District > breadcrumbs: News >


Ajax Loading Image


Notices to the Public


Parents of Students in Unified School District 338, Valley Falls:

As a parent of a student  that receives federal funds under the “NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND” Act, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of each of your child’s teachers:
Whether the teacher is certified by the State of Kansas to teach the grades and subjects he or she teaches;
Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional certification;
The teacher’s college major;
Whether Title I Aides or Paraprofessionals provide services to your child and if so, the qualifications of the Aide or Paraprofessional.

If you would like to receive any or all of this information, please contact Loren Feldkamp at:  USD 338, 700 Oak Street, Valley Falls, KS  66088 or (785) 945-3214.


School Closings

In the event that we are forced to close school due to inclement weather conditions, notification will be made on:

WIBW TV 13 WIBW 94.5
KNZA 103.9
KTKA TV 49 KTPK 106.9

We will attempt to make the decision as early as possible in the morning.  There may be occasions when threatening weather forces us to dismiss school early.  This notification will be occasions when threatening weather forces us to dismiss school early.  This notification will be made over the same radio and news stations.

Parents will be notified via the SchoolMessenger call system.

Closing information will also be posted on our school web site at www.usd338.com.  



The district calendar has provided two half day sessions (students dismissed at 1 PM) and 7 late start days in order to provide more teacher collaborative planning time for grade levels, cross-grade level, and subject area teams.  The first half day will be held on September 2.

Buses will run as scheduled for each of the late start days.  This will allow us to run a normal breakfast program for the day.  Classes will not begin until 9 AM on these days. District aides will be responsible for supervision of students from 7:30 – 8:50.
High school students in the building on these mornings will be required to remain in the Breakfast room if eating breakfast and then congregate in the new high school commons area.

Middle school students will remain in the lunch room area and will assist with the supervision and activities for the elementary students.

Elementary students will have assigned areas to meet depending on the grade level.

Teachers will be dismissed from meetings at 8:50.  Elementary students will be allowed to enter classrooms at 8:55.
**Students are not required to be in attendance on late start days until 9:00 AM.



If your family lives in any of the following situations:
• In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
• On the street
• In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
• Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Then, your preschool-aged and school-aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.

Your children have the right to:
• Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
• Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal
the decision.
• Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian request such transportation.
• Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
• Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
• Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
• Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.
• Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
• Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

When you move, you should do the following:
• Contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education (see phone number below) for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school. (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.)
• Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.
• Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Local Area Contacts:  
Susan Grey (785) 945-3221
State Coordinator:  
Tate Toedman (785) 296-6714

If you need further assistance, call the National Center for Homeless Education at the toll-free HelpLine number:


Availability of Services for Students with Special Needs

Your local school district and all public schools in Kansas provide free special education services for eligible exceptional children ages 3 through 21 or high school graduation.  Parents are encouraged to seek assistance from teachers, principals or other professionals if they have questions regarding their child’s progress in school.  Children with autism, emotional disturbance, giftedness, hearing impairments, specific learning disabilities, mental retardation, orthopedic impairments, other health impairments, speech or language impairments, traumatic brain injuries, or visual impairments may be found to be eligible and in need of special education or related services.  In addition, children ages 3 through 9 who are experiencing developmental delays may also need these services.  The related services, which is not an all-inclusive list includes:  assistive technology devices and services, audiology, counseling services, early identification and assessment of disabilities, interpreting services, medical services for diagnostic or evaluation references, occupational therapy, orientation and mobility services, parent counseling and training, physical therapy, recreation including therapeutic recreation, rehabilitation counseling, school health services, school nurse services, school psychological services, school social work, speech and language, special education administration and supervision, transportation, vocational/transitional, and other developmental, corrective or support resources. 

Special education is not meant for all children experiencing problems in development or trouble with schoolwork.  Some students who are experiencing difficulty benefit more from the individual attention of a general education classroom teacher, the guidance counselor, and, of course, concerned parents.  Your school district makes an effort to screen students for possible disabilities by carefully monitoring their progress on daily work and on achievement tests.  Special education professionals, as part of school student improvement teams, sometimes work with regular education teachers and students to help solve problems students experience in learning.  When classroom interventions are not successful, a referral for an initial evaluation is made.  In addition, free screening clinics for children ages birth to five are held on a monthly basis in the area, and any parent with a concern is welcome to bring their child to be screened.  School counselors, psychologists, and social workers are available to visit with teachers and parents regarding any concerns they might have.  Parents who are concerned that their child may have an undetected disability are asked to notify the principal of the child’s school in writing regarding the concerns.

Parents and their exceptional children have a number of rights under the law with regard to special education.  For each of these rights, there are certain responsibilities both for parents and for the school.  The school system is responsible for safeguarding children’s rights, including the right to benefit from the regular curriculum, to receive educational services in the least restrictive environment, and the right to participate in nonacademic and extracurricular activities.  In addition, the school system is responsible for obtaining parental consent before evaluating a child or providing him/her special education services, for maintaining the confidentiality of all personal information regarding the child, and for making all educational records available to the parents.  Parents should assist the school system by keeping them informed of things that affect the child’s education, attending conferences concerning their child’s educational program, and by keeping the lines of communication open.  Together, parents and school personnel can help children grown and develop into capable adults.

Your school district is a member of Northeast Kansas Education Service Center (NEKESC), also known as Keystone Learning Services, an organization that enables eight school districts in Atchison, Leavenworth and Jefferson counties to collaborate in the provision of special education services.  Participating districts include the following: Valley Falls USD #338, Jefferson County North USD #339, Jefferson West USD #340, Oskaloosa USD #341, McLouth USD #342, Perry USD #343, Atchison County USD #377 and Easton USD #449.  In addition, early intervention services for eligible children age birth to three in these districts are available through Keystone.

Official records for all students receiving special education services in the above school districts are maintained at Keystone Learning Services central office at 500 E. Sunflower Blvd., Ozawkie, KS 66070.  Special education teachers maintain files in their classroom on students with whom they are working.  Any parent of a student, or student who has reached age 18, has the right to review these records without unnecessary delay.  This right includes having someone explain documents in the records, obtaining copies of the records at reasonable or no cost, and allowing a representative of the parent (with signed permission) to examine records.  In cases where records might contain information on more than one student, the parts pertaining to other students will be deleted.  Upon request, Keystone discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school district in which a student seeks or intends to enroll, as allowed by federal law.

Anyone who wishes further information concerning services for exceptional students may contact the Keystone office in Ozawkie at 785-876-2214.  Information is available also through the Kansas State Department of Education at 785-296-3869, or the “Make a Difference” Hot Line at 1-800-332-6262.

Student Entrance Age

The Valley Falls School District complies with state law concerning minimum age requirements for entrance to school.  No exceptions can be made to the requirements of law.
1. KINDERGARTEN: A child who is a resident of this School District may attend kindergarten if: (a)  the child has attained the age of five (5) years on or before August 31 of the school year in question; or (b) the child, regardless of age, was a resident of another state and, while residing in that state, entered and was in attendance in kindergarten in such state.
2. GRADES 1 - 5: A child who is a resident of this School District may attend the elementary grades (grades 1 - 5) if: (a) the child has attained the age of six (6) years on or before August 31 of the school year in question; (b) the child, regardless of age, was a resident of another state and, while residing in that state, completed a kindergarten course maintained by a public school district or by an accredited private, denominational or parochial school; or (c) the child, regardless of age, was a resident of another state and, while residing in that state, has entered and was in attendance in an elementary grade (1 - 5), in such state.

Pupil Identification

A.  Whenever a child enrolls or is enrolled in a school for the first time, the school in which the child is enrolling or being enrolled shall require, in accordance with policy, presentation of proof of identity of the child.  If proof of identity of the child is not presented to the school within 30 days after enrollment, the school shall immediately give written notice thereof to a law enforcement agency having jurisdiction of the school.  Upon receipt of the written notice, the law enforcement agency shall promptly conduct an investigation to determine the identity of the child.  No person or persons claiming custody of the child shall be informed of the investigation while it is being conducted.

B.  “Proof of identify” means (A) in the case of a child enrolling in kindergarten or first grade, a certified copy of the birth certificate of the child or,  as an alternative, for a child who is in the custody of the court order placing the child in the custody of the secretary and, in the case of a child enrolling in any of the grades two through twelve, a certified transcript or other similar pupil records or data; or (B) any documentary evidence which a school deems to be satisfactory proof of identity.

C. Schools and law enforcement agencies shall cooperate with each other in the conducting of any investigation required by this section.  School personnel shall provide law enforcement agencies with access on school premises to any child whose identity is being investigated.  School personnel shall be present at all times any law enforcement agency personnel are on school premises for the purpose of conducting any such investigation unless the school personnel and the law enforcement agency personnel agree that their joint presence is not in the best interests of the child.  School personnel who are present during  an interview by a law enforcement agency of an investigation on school premises to determine the identity of a child in accordance with the requirements of the Kansas Code for Care of Children is to be documented.
Upon receipt by a school of notice from a law enforcement agency that a child who is or has been enrolled in the school and has been reported as a missing child, the school shall make note of the same in a conspicuous manner on the school records of the child and shall keep such school records separate from the school records of all other children enrolled in the school.  Upon receipt by the school of a request for the school records of the child, the school shall notify the law enforcement agency of the request.

Information gathered in the course of the investigation to establish the identify of a child pursuant to this section shall be confidential and shall be used only to establish the identity of the child or in support of any criminal prosecution emanating from the investigation.



Under the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), parents of students and eligible students (those who are 18 or older) are afforded various rights with regard to educational records that are kept and maintained by Unified School District No. 338. In accordance with FERPA, you are required to be notified of those rights which include:

1. The right to review and inspect all of your educational records, except those which are specifically exempt. Records will be available for your review within 45 days of the day the district receives your request for access.
2. The right to prevent disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your educational records to other persons, with certain limited exceptions. Disclosure of information from your educational records to others persons will occur only if:
we have your prior written consent for disclosure;
the information is considered "directory information" and you have not objected to the release of such information; or
disclosure without your prior consent is permitted by law.
■ The district may disclose, without your consent, personally identifiable information to school officials with a legitimate educational interest. A school official is a person employed by the school as an administrator, supervisor, instructor, or support staff member (including health or medical staff and law enforcement unit personnel); the school board (in executive session); a person or company with whom the school has contracted to perform a special task (such as an attorney, auditor, medical consultant, or therapist); or a parent or student serving on an official committee such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility or duties.
■ The district will disclose a student's education records to officials of another school district in which the student seeks or intends to enroll without your consent and without further notice that the records have been requested or forwarded.
3. The right to request that your educational records be amended if you believe the records are misleading, inaccurate, or otherwise in violation of your rights. This right includes the right to request a hearing at which you may present evidence to show why the record should be changed if your request for an amendment to your records is denied in the first instance.

4. The right to file a complaint with the Family Policy and Regulations Office at the U.S.
Department of Education if you believe that Unified School District No. 338 has failed to comply with FERPA's requirements. The address of this office is 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Room 4074, Washington, DC 20202-4605.
5. The right to obtain a copy of Unified School District No. 338 policies for complying
with FERPA. A copy may be obtained from:  Loren Feldkamp, Superintendent.

Directory Information: For purposes of FERPA, Unified School District No. 338 has
designated certain information contained in educational records as directory information. This information may be disclosed for any purpose without your consent. This information can be disclosed without consent because it is the type of information that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The following information is considered directory information: name, address, telephone number, electronic mail address, date and place of birth, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees, honors and awards received, the most recent previous school attended by the student, class designation or grade level, enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time), major field of study and photographs.

You have a right to refuse to permit the designation of any or all of the above information as directory information. If you refuse, you must file written notification to this effect with Unified School District No. 338 at District Office, 700 Oak Street, Valley Falls, KS  66088 on or before September 1, 2016. If a refusal is not filed, Unified School District No. 338 assumes you have no objection to the release of the directory information designated.

Recruiting information: Military recruiters and institutions of higher education are entitled under federal law to a list of names, addresses, and telephone numbers of high school students unless you object to the release of this information. If you notify your principal in writing at any time that you do not wish your child's name, address, and telephone number released without your written consent, we will honor that request.


Notice of Nondiscrimination

In compliance with the Executive Order 11246; Title II of the Education Amendments Opportunity Act of 1972; Title IX Regulation Implementing Education Amendments of 1972; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; and all other Federal, State, School rules, laws, regulations, and policies, Valley Falls, U.S.D. #338 shall not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, or handicap in employment, admission, access, education programs or activities which it operates.
It is the intent of Valley Falls, U.S.D. #338 to comply with both the letter and spirit of the law in making certain discrimination does not exist in its policies, regulations and operations.

Any persons having inquiries concerning Valley Falls, U.S.D. #338 compliance with the regulation implementing Title II, Title VI, Title IX or Section 504 is directed to contact designated coordinator of Compliance, Loren Feldkamp, Superintendent, Valley Falls, U.S.D. #338, 700 Oak Street, Valley Falls, Kansas 66088.  Phone (785) 945-3214

Any person may also contact the Regional Office for Civil Rights at 324 11th, Kansas City, MO 64106, regarding the school district’s compliance with the regulations implementing Title II, Title VI, Title IX or Section 504.


Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)

This federal statute requires parental consent before minor student are required to take part in a survey funded through the U.S. Department of Education that addresses any of a number of sensitive topics. Included on the list of topics are two that may be of relevance to surveys undertaken in connection with school safety efforts:
• Mental and psychological problems potentially embarrassing to
the student and his or her family
• Illegal, antisocial, self-incriminating, and demeaning behavior


Asbestos Annual Notification To Employees, Students, and Parents

Unified School District 338 has some asbestos containing materials throughout its buildings.  All friable asbestos materials have been removed from our school buildings.  Non-friable asbestos materials requiring attention include floor tile and some pipe insulation coverings which are covered and not accessible.
As required by AHERA, a certified asbestos inspector and management planner must inspect all school facilities and develop a management plan for each facility.  The buildings are being managed and maintained according to law.  The floor tile presents no immediate danger to students and staff and can be maintained for an indefinite period of time.
All asbestos information and a master plan are open to the public and available in the Central Office.


Reduced Price and Free School Meals are Available

The Kansas State Department of Education announces the participation of all Kansas school districts and many private schools in the National School Lunch and/or School Breakfast Program. Local school officials have adopted the following household income guidelines for determining eligibility for Child Nutrition Program benefits.


      Household Size                    Free Benefits                           Reduced Price Benefits

                 1................................... $ 15,678...................................... $22,311

                 2...................................... 21,112......................................   30,044

                 3...................................... 26,546......................................   37,777

                 4...................................... 31,980......................................   45,510

                 5...................................... 37,414......................................   53,243

                 6...................................... 42,848......................................   60,976

                 7...................................... 48,282......................................   68,709

                 8...................................... 53,716......................................   76,442

For each additional household member add:
                                      .................. +5,434........................................   +7,733

from the school district or private school. Additional copies are available at the principal’s business office in each school. Applications may be submitted at any time during the year. An application for reduced price or free Child Nutrition Program benefits cannot be approved unless it contains complete eligibility information as indicated on the application and instructions.

Households receiving Food Assistance or Temporary Assistance to Families (TAF) will be notified that their children will be provided free benefits unless the household notifies the school that it chooses to decline benefits. Households receiving assistance under these programs should submit an application only if they are not notified of their eligibility by a specified date determined by the schools.  If a household receiving Food Assistance, TAF or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) completes an application, the children’s names, the Food Assistance, TAF or FDPIR case number, and the signature of an adult household member must be provided.

Participants in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) may be eligible for reduced price or free benefits.  Households with WIC participants should complete an application as described above.

Households with children who are enrolled in the Head Start Program or the Migrant Education Program or who are considered homeless or runaway by the school district’s homeless liaison should contact the school for assistance in receiving benefits.

Foster children who are under the legal responsibility of a State child welfare agency or court, are eligible for free meals, regardless of income. The state must retain legal custody of a child. Households will be notified that the foster child(ren) will be provided free benefits unless the household notifies the school that it chooses to decline benefits. Free eligibility is NOT extended to other students in households with foster children, but households with a foster child(ren) can submit an application and list all household members including the foster child(ren). A foster family application could result in different eligibility for family members, such as the foster child(ren) free and the other students could be reduced, free or not eligible for benefits.

Households not receiving Food Assistance, TAF or FDPIR apply for benefits by completing one application for all children in the household. The application must list names of everyone in the household; the amount of income each household member now receives; source of income; the last four digits of the Social Security number of the household member who signs the application or a statement that the household member does not possess one; and the signature of an adult household member certifying that the information provided is correct. The information is confidential and will be used only for the purpose of determining eligibility. The eligibility status may be verified at any time during the school year by school or other program officials.

Under provisions of the reduced price and free benefit policy, the Determining Official will review applications and determine eligibility.  Parents or guardians who are dissatisfied with the ruling of the official may wish to discuss the decision with the Determining Official on an informal basis. Parents wishing to make a formal appeal may make a request either orally or in writing for a hearing on the decision.  Contact the school district or private school for the name, address and phone number of the Hearing Official and information about the hearing procedures.

If a household member becomes unemployed or if household size changes, the household should contact the school. Such changes may make the child(ren) in the household eligible for reduced price or free benefits if the household income falls at or below the levels shown above.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, employees and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact the USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)   Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)   Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)   Email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Each school’s office and/or the district's/organization’s main office has a copy of the policy for reduced price and free benefits which may be reviewed by any interested party.


  • RSS Icon

Valley Falls USD 338 700 Oak Street Valley Falls, KS  66088


Sign up for the News Update.

Back To Top